Pages

Thursday, December 30, 2010

1 week and soon we're off. Again.

One week with family and it flies. It always does. There isn't ever enough time to do e-v-e-r-y-thing, or spend an adequate amount of time with each person.


It was a good week though. A whole lot of nothing. Just bumming around.


I've made it to Caribou coffee twice. (not bad considering its a half hour from here)
I went with my dad to purchase his new vehicle today. A Yukon Denali XL. Totally makes me never want to cave to the minivan trend.


We'll be here through the new year, were going to head home Saturday. 600 miles back across the map in the opposite direction. If the miles could talk. Baby C is 18 months, I counted the other day, and this was her 8th road trip. Ranging 300-700 miles one-way. And we obviously always have to go round-trip, so this will be her 16th long haul on the road. In 18 months of life. That averages almost one trip each month of her little life. And theres plenty more to come. It makes me smile, but it isn't always easy.


So far I've been against the portable DVD players. My kids have never until now had handheld devices. (The oldest just got a Nintendo DS from Santa)


My family is aware of the trend. My Grandmother just gave us 100 things for little Children on a journey. Im excited to get it out. It wont be much for the tiny tot, but I think the oldest will enjoy.


I should write memoirs. Memoirs of our miles together, as a family, chugging along at interstate speeds. Rockin' out to a wide assortment of tune-age. Maybe I'll get there. It would definitely be a fun project. *gears turning*


Traveling with kids in tow; must haves:


  • Music. Of all kinds- Sound variations help hold their attention. C only loves songs she already knows, it has never proven successful to try new songs while on a trip. We use our Microsoft Zune. Its got everything at the ready. We have a couple fail-proof playlists on reserve.
  • Books!
  • Dim lights. For drawing and reading.- This one from Ikea is our favorite, its rechargeable and it doesn't interfere with the driver's vision.
  • Snacks and sippy cups
  • Look out the window games-- like "how many red trucks can we count?" We also identify every "Welcome to ___" sign at the state lines. We even wake the girl up to make sure she sees it. We travel the same roads often, so hunting for the landmarks of the trip is always a fun challenge for the girl.
  • Notebooks & writing utensils (a variety of pens, pencils, crayons, twist crayons. Markers not recommended)
  • Open ended imagination toys- action figures or little people, the possibilities are endless. Polly pockets are super. Egg shakers and mild instruments are great for singing along to a song and engaging the kids.One time we played with and fully opened an umbrella in the backseat. It served as a little tent.
  • Digital Camera- The girl has her own Canon Powershot, she loves taking pictures of things she finds interesting.
  • Blankies & Pillows
  • Toy cell phones- conversations via the "phone" from the front to backseat are always fun.




Lastly:


  • Patience
  • Tolerance
  • Good Sense of Humor
  • Conversation (all kinds of course, but teaching interesting tidbits about the location is always fun too. My oldest child has been familiar with the ins and outs of the Mississippi river since she was 3.)






Slippers are comfy in the car, We have a Bundle Me in the baby's seat so she doesn't need a jacket, or lose her blankie. I love the Ergo as well. Its not used so much on the way there, but once were there, we rarely have to pack a stroller. I have an oversized zip up hoodie that fits over the baby and I. Totally cozy, lovable and convenient.


I will always cherish these memories we're making, even when we're frantically pulling off for a potty break and have to use the nastiest restroom known to mankind. Or pumping milk in the backseat flying past semi trucks. 
Its all good, and its all fun.










1 comment:

  1. Hey there, I somehow got locked out of my xanga, so I moved over here for now http://sailing5-charis.blogspot.com/ I sure hope I can get back on sometime, but if you want come check out the Bahamas with us! Kim

    ReplyDelete